Sunday, January 15, 2012

! Corinthians Week 2

Hey everyone - here is the text for this next work. The main theme seems to be "Spiritual Authority"
I would love your thoughts on that subject, insights about the text or feelings towards Corinthians in general. Post your thoughts in the comments for this blog.


10 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[a]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”
 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into[b] the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the culture of the day when someone's name contained their character when another spoke it. ("Chloe's household", I follow Cephas", etc). It's hard to imagine our culture today returning to such a standard where all feel comfortable speaking their truth as they know it and using names out loud. For that is where we need to start an honest conversation-"here is what I know, what do you know?, what can we learn from each other from this point forward?, where can we agree?" Paul is straightforward in his rebuke of the Corinthian church but I see some sarcastic humor to break the tension (I thank God I did not baptize...etc)and a statement of truth "Is Christ divided?"

    If we can incorporate that big picture truth-Is Christ divided- into our 'truth as we know it' and allow growth to take place within us- our eyes and ears open to the myriads of division of Christ that we've fully embraced even today- A few are denominations, who has authority to teach or preach,politics in the church...we too have divided Christ. The complexity of Christianity as we know it is almost impossible for professing Christians to understand let alone someone observing Christianity to see if there is truth within.

    We have emptied the cross of it's simplicity and power when we amass groupies or become a groupie of one man's(male or female)interpretation of God's message beyond the Cross (baptism,rituals,etc). Paul says return to the Cross - who was crucified there- was it me, was it you? If it wasn't any of us then quit trying to divide the gospel, unite and follow Christ-it's that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Kim - I thought of Philippians 3:10 (to know Christ and the Power of His Resurrection) and 1 Corinthians 2:2.
    I also thought of the endless YouTube forums arguments were people feel very comfortable spouting off under a pseudonym:)

    ReplyDelete